At Wasatch Midwifery and Wellness, we’re proud to provide comprehensive midwife and doula care for expecting mothers. Our services run from prenatal care all the way through postpartum, and we can assist in either home births or hospital/birthing center.
We’re dedicated to your care, and you should be as well. With that in mind, here is a list of questions you should ask when you choose a midwife.
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many deliveries do you have on your record?
- Did you graduate from an accredited school?
- Are you certified?
- Are you licensed in your state?
- How can I reach you?
- Who is your backup?
- Are you in a solo or group practice?
Hospitals and Birth Centers
- Can I be assured a midwife will attend my labor and birth unless there’s a medical reason for a physician to do so?
- Do you have hospital admission privileges, and do you do birth center deliveries?
- How much time do you allow for prenatal visits?
- On average, how long is your wait?
- Do you allow routine calls for questions between visits?
- Which tests will you recommend?
- What will be covered during visits?
- Do you recommend and childbirth classes?
- Will you help with my birth plan?
Labor and Birth
- Staying close:
- Will you meet me at the hospital/birth center for check-in?
- Will you stay with me throughout labor?
- Pain and drugs:
- What drug-free measures do you suggest for labor?
- Is an epidural available if I decide I need one?
- What do you think about IVs and other interventions?
- How do you feel about inducing labor?
- Prior patients:
- What percentage of your prior patients end up having episiotomies?
- Forceps- or vacuum-assisted deliveries?
- Baby considerations:
- Will I be separated from my baby after birth?
- Can my baby be in my room if I want?
- Can my partner stay overnight with me?
- Will you or someone on the staff provide breastfeeding support?
For more on the kinds of questions to ask a midwife in advance, or to find out about any of our services, speak to the pros at Wasatch Midwifery and Wellness today!